Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day – a time for love. Usually, it is about demonstrating your love for your partner or someone you admire from afar, but why can’t it be about your business or work?
Ask yourself, do you love what you do? Do you go to bed on a Sunday night looking forward to the week or dreading it?
Hi, I’m Anna Goodwin – Author of five books, Director, Mentor, and Trainer for Anna Goodwin Accountancy.
Basically, I take the stress out of finances – both business and personal. From running my own business and helping others to run theirs, I know it’s important to enjoy your work, whether this is your own business or you’re employed.
I know there will always be times when you enjoy your work more than other times but it is important that, on the whole, you have a passion for your work. After all, it is where you spend a lot of your waking hours! If you don’t love it, then you have a problem!
Give yourself a bit of ‘me’ time to think about it – be as detailed as possible so that you have a definite list:
- Which parts of your business/work do you enjoy?
- Which parts of your business/work do you detest?
For the parts you enjoy – ask yourself:
- When is the best time to do these so I am at my most productive?
- Can I do more of these?
For the parts you dislike – ask yourself:
- Is it better for me to work on these first thing in the day and get them out of the way?
- Is it better for me to leave them until later so that I have used my productive energy on the most enjoyable aspects?
- Can I talk to someone about the parts that I don’t like so that I feel more confident in doing them? Do I dislike them because I need some training?
- Do I need to keep doing these? Do you feel that you should carry out the tasks even though you don’t like them? I know that frequently business owners feel that they should look after the whole of the business as it is their business. This can prove to be inefficient in the long run.
- If you work for yourself could these be delegated? This would then free you up to concentrate on the parts that you enjoy.
- If you are employed could an apprentice be taken on to cover these aspects?
I believe it’s crucial to take a good look at your business and the parts that you like and dislike so that you can work to your strengths. Also, if you continue to force yourself to work on tasks you dislike then this will increase your stress which will affect both your business and your work/life balance.
You may be employed and have a certain work role which involves tasks you don’t enjoy. Perhaps you would like some training or maybe pick a time when you can get those tasks out of the way? If there is a large part of your role that you dislike, maybe it is time to start thinking about the job you do want and work towards making yourself happy.
So, this Valentine’s Day give yourself permission to love yourself and do what is best for you within your work.
Next week, I will concentrate on whether you are providing the right environment for your business to thrive.
Do you want to stay in control of your finances? Why not join my online group? I also offer 121 Mentoring and Accountancy services. If you would like more information, get in touch or visit my website.